The EN 407 standard for hand protection measures the effectiveness of hand and arm protection against thermal risks. PPE items are tested and observed to understand burning behavior, heat resistance, and insulation from molten metal. The results of the six tests are stated in the EN 407 pictogram.
- Burning Behavior tests whether seams open and glove drips or melts when exposed to flame.
- Contact Heat measures rise in temperature inside the glove when the outer surface is exposed to heat probe.
- Convective Heat measures the rise in temperature when gloves are exposed to flame.
- Radiant Heat measures rise in temperature inside gloves when exposed to radiant heat.
- Small Molten Metal measures insulation protection inside gloves when outer layer is exposed to small splashes of molten metal.
- Large Molten Metal measures protection when outer layer is exposed to larger amounts of molten metal.